[CLUE-Tech] removing spaces from filenames

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Sun May 16 11:05:50 MDT 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 07:04:28AM -0600, Dale K. Hawkins wrote:
> Better?  Sure just about anything!  The shell is nice for simple tasks,
> but once something goes wrong, you quickly begin to realize that it is a
> hack of a "programming language".  Any task that I anticipate to be
> anything more than trivial, makes me reach for a "real" language
> (currently Ruby tops my list, but Python, Perl, or even emacs lisp have
> got to be better than bash).  Seriously, though bash is the shiniest
> rock amongst a pile of coal.

That's really a bit harsh, don't you think?

bash is perfectly appropriate for getting a simple script together
and running quickly, and even largish projects can be done in shell
quite effectively.

It really shines when most of the hard work is done by other programs
and the script is just stitching things together.

Have you ever seen bourne-basic?  Any environment that can implement a
basic interpreter fairly simply can't bee too bad.. :-)

Marcus Hall
marcus at tuells.org