[CLUE-Tech] After DSL upgrade - some wierd problems

Mark Gibson mark at dimensional.com
Sun May 23 00:21:33 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 22:11, Paul wrote:
> What is the external IP address your Zoom modem/router gets?  It sounds

> like it is getting a 206.124.xx.xxx address, which is what your domain

You're right.  The router's ip from inside my lan is 206.124.xx.xxx.

> is resolving to.  Is this the same hostname/domainname you use to get
> to the server from outside of your home?

I have a number of domains pointing to my 206.124.xx.xxx ip.  ssh'ing to
any of them from any box in my lan produces the same results.

> Most users have a hostname that resolves to the external IP address of
> their router.  This allows them to access the server remotely.
> However, if you want to use a hostname inside of your domain as well,
> then you either need to use a different hostname that has the assigned
> INTERNAL ip address (192.168.x.x), or use Bind and views to make sure
> it resolves to an internal ip address when you are inside the network
> and external ip when you are outside the network.

I host a number of websites, and use apache rewriting rules to point
different domains to different places.  In order to access these sites,
I've added 192.168.1.1  www.myhostname.com to every /etc/host file I
have.  Kind of a pain.  Before the Zoom, a traceroute would go outside
the lan, then back to my server.  This was nice for a couple of
reasons.  No mucking with /etc/hosts when I add a new domain, and I can
verify that my websites are accessible remotely.  So I've got a
work-around, but it would be nice to get the old behavior back.

> Hope that wasn't too confusing, but I can elaborate if needed...

How would bind and views help me?

Mark Gibson <mark at dimensional.com>