[CLUE-Tech] After DSL upgrade - some wierd problems

Mark Gibson mark at dimensional.com
Sun May 23 00:04:55 MDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 15:34, David Anselmi wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> [...]
>  > However,
> > if you want to use a hostname inside of your domain as well, then you
> > either need to use a different hostname that has the assigned INTERNAL
> > ip address (192.168.x.x), or use Bind and views to make sure it resolves
> > to an internal ip address when you are inside the network and external
> > ip when you are outside the network.
>
> This will work but it isn't always necessary.  I can get to my server
> from my internal LAN using either the internal or external IP.
>
> On a whim I tried tracerouting from inside to the outside IP.  Hey,
> look!  A router at Qwest (my ISP) shows up.  That's handy.

This is the behavior I saw before installing the Zoom.  Now it's just
one hop to my server:

traceroute to mydomain.com (206.124.xx.xxx), 30 hops max, 38 byte
packets
 1  xxx.xxx.com (206.124.xx.xxx)  2.847 ms  1.060 ms  0.955 ms

> So to add to my original answer, it looks like the ability to reach the
> external IP from inside may depend on your ISP.
>
> Looking at my router's routing table, this behavior is what you'd
> expect.  I can put a route in to cut the ISP out but that seems to break
> my DNAT (and routing through my ISP and back seems like it might be useful).
>
> So you might look at the Zoom's routing table -- maybe it has a route
> for your external IP and you're seeing DNAT break.  Maybe it doesn't and
> you're seeing your ISP's router doing something odd.  What does it say?

Well, here's the routing table from the zoom.

Destination	Netmask  	Gateway   	Interface
0.0.0.0		0.0.0.0	172.16.5.1	ppp1
10.0.0.0	255.255.255.0	10.0.0.2	br0
192.168.1.0	255.255.255.0	10.0.0.2	br0
127.0.0.1	255.0.0.0		127.0.0.1	lo0
172.16.5.1	255.255.255.255	206.124.xx.xxx	ppp1
192.168.1.1	255.255.255.0	10.0.0.2

The last one I added.  The other settings are added automatically.  Do
you see anything enlightening?

Mark Gibson <mark at dimensional.com>