[CLUE-Tech] After DSL upgrade - some wierd problems

Paul clue at cyber-addict.com
Sun May 23 15:35:32 MDT 2004

Admittedly, I do not use DSL so I have not worked with DSL routers
before.  I assumed they operated like other routers I have worked with,
like FreeBSD/Linux routers, and Cisco routers (2500, 7206, and 7513).
So take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

In my past experience, routers do not even need to do a routing table
lookup on the destination IP address if it is one on an existing
interface.  The existing interface just receives it.    But as your
trace-route shows, your router is indeed doing a routing table lookup
and passing it off to the default route.  Hmm....

By anti-spoofing, I meant they prevent internal IP addresses from being
used to access your external interface.  In their access list, some
people allow all their internal traffic to go anywhere (like a "permit
192.168.0.0/24 to any" statement).  By spoofing their IP address to an
internal IP, a hacker could then pass through the external interface
and on to the internal network without being blocked.  Hence, I have
seen some cable modem routers you buy in stores, and HOWTO's for
iptables include a rule to block any packets coming into the external
interface with a source IP address belonging to the internal LAN.
Depending on the way the routing software is doing the NAT, if you try
to access the external IP from inside your LAN, it may or may not have
done the NATing.  Therefore your packets would be coming "in" the
external interface with a source address of the internal LAN.

But, like I said above, that really depends on the software, how it is
configured, the access control list, and the routing table.  I have not
worked with all routers, obviously, so my statements are based on my
past experiences and not all inclusive.

In messing with my Linux router (Pebble Linux, based off of Debian), I
notice that it does allow me to SSH to the external IP address.
However, it does not forward the connection to my internal server like
it normally does.  Instead, it creates an SSH connection directly with
the router.  Perhaps that is happening with yours as well, in that the
router is trying to respond instead of forwarding the request on to
your internal server.

A trace-route on my part to the external IP address just shows one hop,
my router.   <shrugs shoulders>

Paul

Hosted by CyberAddict (http://www.cyberaddict.net)