[CLUE-Tech] Printer Shareing

John Likes jwlikes at frii.com
Sun May 23 18:22:55 MDT 2004

I appoligize in advance if this is the wrong place for this letter.  I just subscribed to the newsgroup but have been to a few CLUE meetings over the last couple of years,  Anyway, my question may be O.T. since I think it is more about Win Networking  than Linux,  but I honestly didn't know were to begin asking for help.

I have a home network, all connected to a dsl modem/router.  Consists of
1.  Windows ME Box
2.  Red Hat 9.0 box
3.  Windows NT 4.0 sp6 Workstation Box,
4.  XP home laptop through a WiFi port.

All nodes can see the samba share on the Linux box and share through a joint MS workgroup.  From a network standpoint it is one subnet with DHCP assignments coming from the router.  There is no network logon in any of the windows boxes, Just a window logon and the workgroup is visible in the network browser function of each of the Win nodes. There is an Epson printer on the ME, and it shares with the Red Hat Box and the laptop,both can print to it without any passwords required.  This weekend,  I bought a Brother HL-1440 printer and installed on the the RH 9.0 box locally.  It prints just fine from RH9.0.  Brother included a windows driver install disk that is supposed to work for remote printers  I installed that on the NT 4.0,  N.T . sees the remote printer and does fine.  I did the same thing on the ME box and whein I try to print, it pops a box asking for a password  for \\ETHER\Brother which is the printer I'm trying to reach.    I did the same install on XP.  The workgroup display shows the printer but says the printer is unavailable.

If I really need a password, I don't know what it is or where to set it.  Root on the RH machine didn't work, and I took the password off the ME windows logon.  When I set the printer up I used the Gnome printer manager.  I  am using CUPS,   I'm not aware of any no password there,  AFAIK the samba admin function on RH just sets up file shares, and doesn't have any printer functions, anyway there is no password prodection on the shares.  I read somewhere that this whole WINS resolution thing was a mess with masters and clients, and timing differences from update cycles, and so on, but I've bounced everything in different orders and waited around for the thing to syncronize, and nothing seems to work.  What next??

J.W. Likes