[CLUE-Tech] mod_rewrite and mod_throttle/suexec

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue May 25 17:42:06 MDT 2004

Paul wrote:

> The <VirtualHost> directive is a pain since I have to restart Apache
> every time there is a change.  I would like an option to do
> reconfiguration dynamically and prevent restarts.  I have also heard
> that too man <VirtualHost> entries begin to really slow Apache down,
> at least in its starts and stops.
>
> Or has anyone found a different way to dynamically add or delete
> virtual hosts without having to restart Apache?

Sending signal USR1 to apache will make it reload its configuration file
without a complete restart.

I'm assuming this from looking at Debian's apache start-stop script
/etc/init.d/apache :

  reload | force-reload)
    test_config
    echo -n "Reloading $NAME configuration"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile $PIDFILE --signal USR1
    ;;

I think RedHat and variants have a similar option to their start-stop
scripts.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com