[CLUE-Tech] SB Live! Mixer Tweaking

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat May 29 15:52:26 MDT 2004

Hey,

So I have a SoundBlaster Live, with ALSA running the driver. (Linux 2.6.6,
Debian Sid).

It works.  I am wondering if anyone knows of a utility that might know what
all of the mixer channels do, and can have reasonable presets?

This card has 62 (!) different mixer channels, many of which have an unclear
function to me.  I can get it to sound OK with one sound source, but the next
sound source with different properties will sound bad.  I am thus constantly
futzing with the mixer, which is non-trivial, as there so many variables.

The biggest problems seem to come from Artsd applications in KDE, XMMS seems
to be somewhat better.  Annoyingly, the mixer channels seem to behave
differnetly depending on which primary sound output/software I am using.

My biggest problems seems to be some kind of distortion in high-amplitude
signals.  No amount of mixer-tweaking has yet to get rid of this.

I suppose the problem could be with Artsd or the OSS emulation.

I have a 4.1 set of speakers (I think that's what it is -- two front speakers,
two surround speakers, and one subwoofer.)

Is anyone else running this card and happy with it?  It is so frustrating to
me that I have contemplated ripping the damn card out and puting in an old
Yamaha $10 card I have.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...