[CLUE-Tech] Serial Install to Laptop?

Jesse William jwilliam at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 08:49:06 MST 2004

hello,

i've been trying to install linux(suse) on an old laptop(IBM Thinkpad
365XD: P1, 16MB RAM, 1G HDD) and unfortunately this laptop has a CD
drive, but no way to boot from it, and a way to boot from floppy, but
no floppy drive. my question is, can i install linux from my desktop
over serial connection? or should i get a networking card first and
install over ethernet? there is currently no OS installed and i'm just
looking for the basics so i can take notes in class and maybe use the
network in lab, would there be a better choice than suse for this? all
i really need is lynx(no X), pine, vi, bash, networking, bash, etc.
just the basic stuff.

thanks!
-Jesse