[CLUE-Tech] ssh tunnel for web access

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:13:38 MST 2004

Good morning,

I think this is possible, but don't know how:

I want to tunnel a web connection thru a firewall.  i.e. I have a
web-based database application that work fine inside of a private
network.  I would like to implement a very limited 'vpn' for this
application using remote linux clients.

The clients will have internet access, but not real vpn access in to
the LAN where the applicaitonserver is running.  I can forward a
secure port through the firewall to the application host tho.

If I can use ssh to connect to the application host,  can I then start
a web browser so that it knows to use the 'tunnel' to connect to this
specific web server?

I know that I could use X-forwarding and run the browser sessions on
the server, but I don't think this is the best way to 'split out' the
load.

Will I need to do something special with apache on the web server in
order to have this work too?

Thanks for your help - have a great Friday.

aloha,
dave