[CLUE-Tech] ssh tunnel for web access

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:52:04 MST 2004

I think what you want is the SSH port forwarding capability.

Your users would need to run

ssh -L8123:localhost:80 user at applicationserver

And then when they opened up their browser and pointed it at
http://localhost:8123/ it would be forwarded to port 80 on the
applicationserver host.

If they have problems with that ssh -v or ssh -vv or ssh -vvv would be
helpful in debugging the problem.

One drawback is that they need to keep their ssh session open in order
for this to work, so some people who like to close out unused windows
won't like this.

> I know that I could use X-forwarding and run the browser sessions on
> the server, but I don't think this is the best way to 'split out' the
> load.

Yeah - I don't think that would be efficient and the performance would
probably seem bad to the users.

> Will I need to do something special with apache on the web server in
> order to have this work too?

Not the way I suggested.

mahalo,
Greg