[CLUE-Tech] Getting There With FC2

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Nov 9 14:39:05 MST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:42:03 -0800 (PST)
"JD. Brown" <brownstixzz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now, Let's get back on track here.

Yes, indeed.

The eth0 question is specifically how to configure FC2 such that, on boot,
I have a proper routing table. I can easily copy the values from my
working RH8 install, meaning:

$ /sbin/route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo

Note, this isn't what's in the routing table on FC2. What's currently in
that matters not at all. The question is which configuration tool will
*actually* update the config files properly, since the admin tools
available from the menu don't; or, which file(s) do I edit manually to
change the boot-time config to what I need.

Similarly to the routing table, I can get whatever other values I might
need from `ifconfig etho0` on the working install (remember, this is in a
dual-boot config, so the hardware is identical, and the LAN settings
should be too).

eth0's IP address is OK. I believe the rest of the values in ifcfg-eth0
are fine as well, since they came from my working RH8 install. It is
already set to "load on boot", and that is working.

I had found some docs at RH's site which led me to believe that all I had
to do was fix /etc/sysconf/network, but that has made no difference. Note
that what I did was replace it the file from my RH8 install.

The issue with dialup networking is not "what tool can I switch to", it's
"why doesn't the method I've been using successfully since RH5.1 not work
under FC2". I want to continue to use it because it's simple, doesn't rely
on hidden config files which are who knows where, doesn't drag in a pile
of other software I don't need (like kppp does when invoked from Fvwm),
and is trivially easy to invoke from an Fvwm button.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/