[CLUE-Tech] Getting There With FC2

JD. Brown brownstixzz at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 16:22:22 MST 2004

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.

To add your gateway. Use this command.

# route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0

In this case, make sure that the router / firewall with IP address 192.168.1.1 is connected to the
same network as interface eth0!

Once done, you'll need to update your /etc/sysconfig/network file to reflect the change. This file
is used to configure your default gateway each time Linux boots.

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=Whatever!
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1 (example)

To add your route to the table.

route add -net 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

To delete a mistake from your route table,do.

route del -net 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1 eth0
(Only do this if you are deleting a mistake!)

The file etc/sysconfig/static-routes will also have to be updated so that when you reboot the PC,
will not reinsert the route.

Delete the line that reads:

eth0 net 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1
(Only do this if you are deleting a mistake!)

Remember, Once you are done adding routes to your table. Type in netstat -nr to view your table.

> I had found some docs at RH's site which led me to believe that all I had
> to do was fix /etc/sysconf/network, but that has made no difference.

> Note that what I did was replace it the file from my RH8 install.

This should work. Only if you change your file permissions, Under FC.

Your PPP chat script. Well, this one should not be any different from the RH version. In a
nutshell.
I talked to my friend who still uses PPP on a daily baisis, he has had no problems with
configuring it when he made the switch from RH9 over to Fedora. I'm no expert with PPP and chat
script editing, but I did find this link that may help you:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PPP-HOWTO/automate.html

I hope this helps and again. I'm sorry for the confusion at first.

JD