[CLUE-Tech] Getting There With FC2

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Nov 9 20:31:46 MST 2004

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
>>I've never liked the way RH did network config, but it's all in
>>/etc/sysconfig if you can trace your way through.  Do you have a gateway
>>defined in whichever file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts defines the
>>IP address?  I assume eth0 is getting the right IP address.
>

> Well, in ifcfg-eth0, there's no line that says "GATEWAY=n.n.n.n". But my
> understanding is that since it's a LAN, there is no gateway. But it does
> need a route, so that it knows that packets for the LAN go to eth0.

I took a look at a RH9 system.  Besides the morass of files under
sysconfig/network* there are 3 that apply to my NIC:

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/ifcfg-eth1

The last two are identical, the first slightly different.  All are
straightforward enough that you'd get them right.

The routes on this system are created from those files using the ifup
script.  You can try tracing through it to see where the problem lies
(set -x, perhaps?) but it's a morass too.  It does some magic to
calculate things (translates a netmask of 255.255.255.0 into /24 for
example) used in the ip command (doesn't use ifconfig, route, etc.)

Could you netmask be wrong (perhaps /32?) or maybe you have entries for
broadcast or network addresses that don't match the netmask.  I'm sure
you've checked those, but without learning how the FC networking is set
up I don't have any other ideas.

Any chance that running ifdown/ifup (not sure the syntax) on eth0 gets
you a route?  Then maybe the issue is in the boot script rather than
ifup or your config.