[CLUE-Tech] Getting There With FC2

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Nov 9 23:08:54 MST 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:31:46 -0700
David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/ifcfg-eth1
>
> The last two are identical, the first slightly different.  All are
> straightforward enough that you'd get them right.

Well, I assume that the profile copy is read only by the config tools. Why
having 2 others is beyond me, but I replaced the top one with the one from
my RH8 config.

> The routes on this system are created from those files using the ifup
> script.  You can try tracing through it to see where the problem lies
> (set -x, perhaps?) but it's a morass too.

Exactly why I've been trying to avoid tracing it. It seems I'll have no
choice.

> It does some magic to
> calculate things (translates a netmask of 255.255.255.0 into /24 for
> example) used in the ip command (doesn't use ifconfig, route, etc.)
>
> Could you netmask be wrong (perhaps /32?) or maybe you have entries for
> broadcast or network addresses that don't match the netmask.  I'm sure
> you've checked those, but without learning how the FC networking is set
> up I don't have any other ideas.

Well, here's what I copied to that file:

DEVICE=eth0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
IPADDR=192.168.0.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Ethernet

Also, even though I suspect FC2 is ignoring it, here's the contents of
/etc/sysconfig/static-routes:

eth0 net 192.168.00 netmask 255.255.255.0 g

> Any chance that running ifdown/ifup (not sure the syntax) on eth0 gets
> you a route?  Then maybe the issue is in the boot script rather than
> ifup or your config.

Hey, I'll give it a shot.

jed
--