[CLUE-Tech] Getting There With FC2

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 04:49:56 MST 2004

I don't know what is going on with FC3, but the only
differences I am aware of between FC2 and FC1 and many
other linux dists is the 2.4 versus 2.6 kernel. In
fact I was just reading today that the slackware 10.x
uses 2.4 kernel for install stability but provides the
option to install a 2.6 strain.

There have been many messages in this thread and I
have not had a chance to read them all.

I can tell you that I have experienced a few weird
things since the 2.6 kernel was put into the RedHat
based distros....

First if you check dmesg you will find a locales
error.

Second ... one that affects me ... is that the LVM
support has greatly changed ... (A nice way of saying
that it is hard to upgrade an LVM based system from
2.4 to 2.6)

The only other crazy thing that I am affected by is
the nfs-utils in FC2 .... I don't know what it likes
to play with but it won't play with my AIX, Solaris9,
RedHat9 ... out of the box ... I Revert to the
nfs-utils from FC1 and all is OK ....

-Mike

PS: Sorry if I revamped given not reading the tons of
posts on this matter.