[CLUE-Tech] Getting There With FC2

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Nov 10 20:51:44 MST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:47:47 -0700
"Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:

> I've started the process of seeing whether I can get Fedora to what is,
> for me, a usable state.

Hmmm, is it OK to hijack a thread if it's one I created? :)

The two major things I need to do before I consider FC3 "usable" are to
get Fvwm installed (although KDE is growing on me), and figure out how the
new "dev" system works.

Oh, and getting Vim to behave. (but that's really a whole 'nother thread)

The obvious reason why I need to get the "dev" (or is it udev now?) system
works is that I have discovered that symbolic links in /dev don't persist
across reboots.

In order to avoid having the new system become the tangled hairball of
stuff in various places which my current install resembles, what I plan to
do is make RPM files of everything I build from source. The checkinstall
package does a fair job of that, but it barfs on occasion, and so I need
to learn a reliable method for packaging my warez.

Any good online resources for RPM building, and the new /dev stuff would
be appreciated.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/