[CLUE-Tech] screen wizards? - command line editing

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Nov 13 07:44:40 MST 2004

Dave Price wrote:
[...]
> But anyway ...  the vi envronment is <emphasis>"not  there"</emphasis>
> in screen sessions.

So how are you starting your screen session?

> Screen seems to have some sort of emacsen environment, which I can
> sort of use on a MacOSX box via a Macintosh USB keyboard

Is this a Linux question or an OSX question?  I'm at a loss why you
included all this Mac stuff.

Anyway, the vi interface setting doesn't seem to be inherited by child
shells so you have to make sure that when bash is started by screen it
runs "set -o vi".

Maybe you have set -o vi in ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile, but not in
~/.bashrc?  See INVOCATION in bash(1).