[CLUE-Tech] screen wizards? - command line editing

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 19:22:28 MST 2004

Dear Clueful ones,

Todays puzzle....

I like to use screen - especially to launch my favorite mp3 playing scripts.

but... I usually use a 'vi' command environment - (my ~/.bashrc has
'set -o vi' in it)

 .... And I am really used to it (you should see what my fingers do
when I try to send outlook mail - try it you might like it (not using
outlook, the set -o vi thing ... which I got turned on to at a CLUE
installfest, thank you))

But anyway ...  the vi envronment is <emphasis>"not  there"</emphasis>
in screen sessions.

Screen seems to have some sort of emacsen environment, which I can
sort of use on a MacOSX box via a Macintosh USB keyboard  (it has the
little splat key, which can even be used to hide XDarwin) - the
Macbackwards delete key is broken,  but the sixpack delete key 'eats'
characters in front of the cursor pretty well, but not nearly fast
enough for my '<esc>d' fingers ...

The MacOSX keyboard works fine (great actually) in mac terminal sessions.

Can screen be told to use a 'vi' environment?
... or is there another bash environment that I can learn to use that
would be transparent to screen?

TIA

aloha ( and  happy Friday ),
dave