[CLUE-Tech] upgrading rpm (continued and resolution)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Nov 21 01:07:41 MST 2004

Carl Schelin wrote:

> Now the system is degrading, old hardware (Pentium Pro 233 on a CompUSA
> mobo with 128 megs of ram) and kernel failures which halt the system
> causing lost files. I have it in morning reboot mode since it was
> happening at 4:30 or so every couple of mornings and that seems to be
> holding up. I'm also getting Carrier errors on the internal interface.
> I've swapped cards with the new machine and nothing changed. I changed
> cables since I had to have a crossover cable for the linksys and am still
> getting errors.

With the random failures of the networking gear, and network card and
flakiness of the machine, perhaps the power supply is failing in the PC
and putting really nasty stuff all over the place there and even
possibly killing other components like the Netgear?  Does the area where
your computers and network gear reside have a very good three-pronged
outlet and is everything tied into the same ground point?

I don't think your problems there are unrelated -- your stories of
various hardware failures all of a sudden starting, give me gut-feel you
have a power problem that's going undiagnosed there, to me anyway.

Nate