[CLUE-Tech] upgrading rpm (continued and resolution)

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 08:54:57 MST 2004

--- Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> Carl Schelin wrote:
>
> > Now the system is degrading, old hardware (Pentium Pro 233 on a
> CompUSA
> > mobo with 128 megs of ram) and kernel failures which halt the system
> > causing lost files. I have it in morning reboot mode since it was
> > happening at 4:30 or so every couple of mornings and that seems to be
> > holding up. I'm also getting Carrier errors on the internal interface.
> > I've swapped cards with the new machine and nothing changed. I changed
> > cables since I had to have a crossover cable for the linksys and am
> still
> > getting errors.
>
> With the random failures of the networking gear, and network card and
> flakiness of the machine, perhaps the power supply is failing in the PC
> and putting really nasty stuff all over the place there and even
> possibly killing other components like the Netgear?  Does the area where
>
> your computers and network gear reside have a very good three-pronged
> outlet and is everything tied into the same ground point?
>
> I don't think your problems there are unrelated -- your stories of
> various hardware failures all of a sudden starting, give me gut-feel you
>
> have a power problem that's going undiagnosed there, to me anyway.

That's certainly a possibility. I bought a large ups to handle the two
linux boxes and smaller stuff including the linksys. Everything is three
pronged but the power is flakier than my last house. We've had a couple of
power outages since April which is more than the outages I had in 13 years
at my last place.

I'm just about done building a rack for the systems I have here so they'll
be more organized and so I can more efficiently plug in the systems (two
sun ultra 60's, two linux, windows, mac, linksys and cable modem). My
windows box has always been on a ups and I'll be getting another large one
for the sun boxes. Perhaps I'll get a couple of smaller ones for the mac
and my wife's system.

Thanks,

> Nate

Carl