[CLUE-Tech] upgrading rpm (continued and resolution)

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 08:40:30 MST 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:37:53 -0800 (PST), Carl Schelin
<co_bofh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:10:44 -0800 (PST), Carl
> > Schelin
> > <co_bofh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > (another delay; fscking netgear has failed and I have
> > > to recable. second FPOS netgear to fail out of two. no
> > > more netgears for me.)
> >
> > Interesting. I've always gotten good results with netgear.
>
> They work for a pretty long while but they eventually give up the ghost.
>
> The first netgear failed for no reason. Never got power back.
>
> I've been having problems with the WGR614 since back in May or so. I have
> a Mac Powerbook G4 and used the netgear (wireless) with no problem. One
> day though I decided I wanted to turn off the SSID, not possible with the
> 614 at its current firmware so I upgraded (I seem to have problems with
> upgrades ;-) and from that point on, the mac can't stay connected to the
> netgear for more than a few minutes before killing the WAP. I

Well, I've never used wireless. My netgear router (plugged into cable
modem) has worked flawlessly (for the most) for a couple of years, and
I've never had a problem with netgear eth cards. The only problem I
have (once every few months), either the cable modem or the router is
dying slowly. I'll be working, and all computers loose sync with the
ethernet. A power recycle of modem and router cures it, but I've never
figured out which is the problem. Maybe, like Nate said, you have a
power problem.

> > [ rest of tale of woe snipped ]
> >
> > Hey man, I really sympathize. I had similar problems with RPM-based
> > systems years ago, and I switched never to look back.
>

> Basically I've used RPM type systems for years and am comfortable with
> them. I'm considering cleaning up the old linux box and rebuilding with
> bsd again, just to play around with it. Maybe I'll check out debian, suse
> or even slackware since it's been a while (maybe even Knoppix).

A Knoppix disk install will get you into debian quickly, if not
cleanly. I did that once, but I was too lazy to learn the debian ways,
so I stayed with gentoo. Lots of folks love debian, but there's
something about a user group that routinely roasts newbies and refuses
to say anything but RTFM when you have problems just chaps my ass.

--
 Collins