[CLUE-Tech] X Won't Use my TrueType Fonts

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Oct 5 16:41:50 MDT 2004

After a few years of having no trouble with TrueType fonts, I discover
today that X is no longer serving them up.

I haven't changed anything. No upgrades, no changes to my XF86Config file.

The only clue I have here is the message from X:
"Could not init font path element /public/fonts, removing from list!"

I've recreated both the fonts.scale and fonts.dir files in my directory of
TT fonts. No luck, and in the process lost the encodings.dir file (needed,
I understand, by OO).

My question then is, I guess, how do get X to tell my WHY it can't init
that font path element?

Is there a utility in X somewhere to examine a font directory and report
on its status? I get no errors when I do 'xset +fp /public/fonts'. And
doing so doesn't cause the fonts to show up, for example, in The GIMP.

This is a RH8 box.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/