OT: Re: [CLUE-Tech] Installing Knoppix

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Oct 8 08:17:50 MDT 2004

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> "Please also know that, even though Knoppix is based on the Debian
> distribution, your enquiries in #debian may not be welcomed."
>
> Really? Is Knoppix in some particular way divergent from Debian -- in a
> way that would irritate purists or something?

Do I count as a Debian purist?  If you asked me "why doesn't my Knoppix
install work" I couldn't answer you since I don't install it (no big
deal here, but maybe annoying in a Debian forum).  If you asked me how
to set up a NIC on Debian and I told you, and you complained that it
didn't work because Knoppix did NICs differently, that *would* be annoying.

I've had that experience with RH--people ask how to fix their firewall
problems without knowing iptables because RH has a "personal firewall
widget".  So even though I know iptables I can't help them without a RH
system to dig into.  And try telling them that the "PFW" wasn't really
made to be run on their name server...

> Maybe this would be a cool thing for me to do at the installfest. Hmmm.
> Gotta think about that.

I'll have a 3.6 CD there (the latest, I think) that you can copy.