OT: Re: [CLUE-Tech] Installing Knoppix

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Oct 8 11:53:23 MDT 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:17:50 -0600
David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> Do I count as a Debian purist?  If you asked me "why doesn't my Knoppix
> install work" I couldn't answer you since I don't install it (no big
> deal here, but maybe annoying in a Debian forum).  If you asked me how
> to set up a NIC on Debian and I told you, and you complained that it
> didn't work because Knoppix did NICs differently, that *would* be
> annoying.

Well, I guess that's part of the question. It goes to the issue of whether
Knoppix is divergent enough that std. .deb packages would get confused, or
confuse Knoppixisms, when installed. From what I've read in the past, the
answer is no.

But, since I can do this to an empty HD, at an installfest, where there's
bandwidth to play with upgrading (or downgrading, if necessary), it
doesn't sound like a losing proposition.

Mainly, my guess is that once I get accustomed (presuming I stick with it)
to messing around under the hood on a Debian based system, it won't
matter. Just as it now matters not all that much that I have a RH based
system.

But that does bring up one issue, which is that one reason I want to do a
major upgrade by doing a clean install is that my current system has
gotten sort of ... well, I have a lot of stuff built from source, and
that's not a bad thing, but I should have managed it better. Well, that's
a digression, except that I don't want to get into the same state again,
or at least make it a more manageable condition.

> I've had that experience with RH--people ask how to fix their firewall
> problems without knowing iptables because RH has a "personal firewall
> widget".  So even though I know iptables I can't help them without a RH
> system to dig into.  And try telling them that the "PFW" wasn't really
> made to be run on their name server...

Well, since I don't use any of RH's widgetty tools, I guess that doesn't
apply to me.

> > Maybe this would be a cool thing for me to do at the installfest.
> > Hmmm. Gotta think about that.
>
> I'll have a 3.6 CD there (the latest, I think) that you can copy.

Just looked at the calendar. If I'm going to do this, I have some work to
do. Tarring up the stuff on the "new" HD so it can be a clean install
target. Hope I have space somewhere for that tarball (yeah, it can be
split without up without too much effort).

Any thoughts on whether using the 2.6 kernel in K3.6 is a good thing to
do?

Just an FYI, here's a comment from the Knoppix forum -
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12818 - on ALSA: "After
downgrade the package pciutils,alsa works fine,  i used this version
1.11-7,the original from cd .1.11-15,but nvtv removed".

Also thinking ahead, it's likely that I'll want to rebuild vim. When I was
going through the SuSE thing, I started out to do that, but couldn't find
a list of the --with and --enable configure options. I always have trouble
finding things about vim -- wierd. ./configure --list doesn't list them
(as it shouldn't), but the vim docs (unless I missed something) don't list
all the stuff the way that, e.g., Apache's do.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/