[CLUE-Tech] Installing Knoppix

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Fri Oct 8 12:39:08 MDT 2004

Jed (and others),

I will have Knoppix 3.6 on CD for people to burn/share.  Personally, I
have used Knoppix since 3.0 (so 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4) and I love it.
Great little hacking side tool as well when you cannot get into a
system.

I consider it Debian "simplified" with it being almost "all-on-one" on a
CD that can be live, but at the same time there are things you cannot
(easily) do with it (e.g., LVM).

I would cfdisk the partitions before going through the full installation
(the current Knoppix install script needs some work on that still), then
format them appropriately, even the one where root (as in /) will be
going.  I tend to make /boot, /usr, /var, and /tmp separate.

On 2.4 vs. 2.6 kernels...your call there.  I recall with 3.4 it actually
installs both kernels, and I believe 3.6 did as well (have to look at my
PVR box on that one).

For update, I just use good old "apt".  Have not tried aptitude, but not
too worried since I love using apt.

Need some help with it this Saturday, between Dave A. and myself, we can
wing it. ;-)

--- Crawford
CLUE-North Coordinator/Lackie