[CLUE-Tech] Installing Knoppix

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Oct 8 14:26:15 MDT 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:39:08 -0600
Crawford Rainwater <crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net> wrote:

> I consider it Debian "simplified" with it being almost "all-on-one" on a
> CD that can be live, but at the same time there are things you cannot
> (easily) do with it (e.g., LVM).

But the question is whether the process of adding features would in some
way not "play nice" with Knoppix.

Ferexample, using Fvwm instead of KDE. Saw a forum topic header on that. I
can't imagine why it would matter. I'd have to mod my existing rc file
with new paths, but other than that?

At what point does "going beyond" the Knoppix install become a problem?
Ever?

Just thinking ahead, would using my current saved knoppix settings be as
simple as untarring the configs.tbz file knoppix creates when it saves
them?

> I would cfdisk the partitions before going through the full installation
> (the current Knoppix install script needs some work on that still), then
> format them appropriately, even the one where root (as in /) will be
> going.  I tend to make /boot, /usr, /var, and /tmp separate.

My thinking is to use ext2 for /boot, and reiser for everything else. Any
pitfalls? (I'll be doing the partitioning sometime tonight, I think. (Man,
making a bzipped tar of my ogg and mp3 collection is taking a while. I
think gzip would have been better -- seems to run faster.)

> On 2.4 vs. 2.6 kernels...your call there.  I recall with 3.4 it actually
> installs both kernels, and I believe 3.6 did as well (have to look at my
> PVR box on that one).

My only thought is maybe it's a bug in the 2.6 ALSA which caused sound
problems with SuSE9.1. Other than that, I'd rather have the newer kernel.

> Need some help with it this Saturday, between Dave A. and myself, we can
> wing it. ;-)

I was thinking pizza for lunch, but wings are good too.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/