[CLUE-Tech] Disappearing printer device

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri Oct 8 12:41:03 MDT 2004

* NB: I'm using kernel 2.6.8.1, from the currect Arch Linux distribution

Hi, all--

This is weird. I am using CUPS on Arch Linux 0.7. When I installed the
system 5 or 6 weeks ago, I set up my usual printer through the CUPS Web
interface. It's connected through the parallel port, so the device URI
would have been (I think) parallel://dev/printers/0. Anyway, it worked
fine from then on.

But today (it's probably been a week since I printed anything) I tried
to print a page, and nothing happened. Printer on, cables connected,
yes, yes. So:

 1. I tried to check the print queue with 'lpq -' (which has always
    worked in the past). The message said:

      lpq: error - no default destination available.

 2. I went to the CUPS Web interface and tried to check the queue there.
    It said there were no jobs.

 3. I went to the "Manage Printers" page. It said my printer was
    "stopped and rejecting jobs." So I clicked on "Start printer."
    In response I got a message saying the printer was started. But then
    when I went back to the status page, it still said the printer was
    stopped and rejecting jobs.

 4. Tried again, same result.

 5. Reloaded pages, clicked around here and there trying to find
    something useful.

 6. Checked the printer configuration page. Nothing relevant there, but
    I noticed the default resolution was set to 300x300, so I changed it
    to 600x600, and submitted the form.

 7. I think at this point I restarted the CUPS daemon.

 8. Back to the "Manage Printers" page, where I was informed that there
    were "no printers".

 9. Since I was already logged into the CUPS admin interface, I figured
    I might as well try reinstalling the printer.

10. In the course of trying to set up the printer, I realized I had
    forgotten the device URI. Checking the docs, found that it should be
    'parallel://path/to/device.

11. Didn't remember the correct device name, so I checked the /dev
    directory. There are no /dev/lp* files, but this is a 2.6 kernel, so
    I guess there aren't supposed to be? I'm not very familiar with 2.6
    yet. Then I noticed the printers/ subdirectory, and ... it's empty!
    Isn't a parallel printer supposed to be something like
    /dev/printers/0? I'm pretty sure I had that file before, but it's
    gone now.

So, no /dev/printers/* . I imagine this is why CUPS can't find a
printer, but why would the device file disappear? I checked 'lsmod', and
the 'lp' and 'parport' modules are loaded.

Anyone seen this before? If not, can you suggest diagnostic
tools/procedures for this situation?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Haven Rock Press            Horses bear manure through
Englewood, Colorado, USA        its fields;
books at havenrock.com         When a nation ignores the Way,
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)