[CLUE-Tech] Installing Knoppix

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Oct 8 12:11:43 MDT 2004

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 01:41:34 -0700 (PDT)
dave price <dp_kinaole at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you do decide to go down that path, you will want
> to tweak the apt-sources a bit and do a little house
> cleaning, once you are done, but this is certainly a
> good shortcut for getting up and running with a
> complete (more-or-less) Debian environment in a hurry.
>  Knoppix has some of the best hardware detection out
> there, and just studying how your hardware gets set up
> can be a great education.

Oh, indeed. Sound, for example, seems to work better in Knoppix than in
SuSE. Not that I really wrung it out, but in SuSE9.1 all it took to mess
up sound was loading up that game where you shoot the colored balls. In
Knoppix, Galaga really rocks.

> You may want to
> consider partitioning your hard drive before you start
> the Knoppix script, and leave a lot of free space to
> play with later. First things you might want to
> consider moving afterwards are /home and /var.

I think pre-partitioning is the way to go. Will Knoppix insist on creating
/var? I've got the Knoppix site up, but a quick look doesn't tell me what
partition layout it uses.

Looking at my calendar, I see that I've got to get moving to be prepared
for an install tomorrow.

My ideas for partition schemes have changed a lot since I set up this RH
box. Now, what I want on the main HD are /boot, /, and /home. If Knoppix
wants a seperate /var, I guess I can live with that, but I put very little
stuff there.

Thoughts on what sizes to make those partitions are welcome. Seems like
20MB for /boot, and 10GB for / ought to be plenty. But then 30GB for /home
feels excessive.

> Search back in the CLUE archives or remind me to
> repost a nice 'tar one-liner' for moving big chunks of
> filesystem from one partitition to another.

The queries "price tar filesystem" and "price tar partition" didn't reveal
anything. But I hope not to need it.

> You can certainly achieve a much smaller footprint
> installation (not to mention satisfy the purists) on

Smaller footprint? I've got a 40GB HD to play with. ;-)

I've never really given much thought to the "purity" of my system. Really,
what I'm looking to do is just get the stuff I use upgraded to the latest
stable (not in the Debian definition of "stable") stuff. Even if the newer
Galeon is crap compared to what I'm using now. That's a question,
actually, of whether I can easily downgrade somehow. I have some ideas on
that.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/