[CLUE-Tech] monitoring SMP machines

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 16:41:49 MDT 2004

--- Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine left me a message this morning
> asking this one, and
> Google is letting me down.  ;-)
>
> Is there any way to monitor individual CPU
> utilization using SNMP on a
> multi-processor Linux system?
>
> I'll admit, I haven't dug real hard yet.  Any
> thoughts appreciated.
>
> I see that GKrellM seems to do it, but he's
> specificially wondering how
> to set it up via a MIB so his existing SNMP tools
> can do the job.

As long as you have something on the machine that can
return the status of each cpu, you can at minimum set
up a script to return values via snmp in any format
you want.

So it can be done.

You can also create an entry in a local MIB that does
the job but that's a bit of work if you're not
comfortable with MIB construction.

Essential SNMP is what I used when setting up Nagios
and SNMP at my last place of work.

I'm in the middle of moving my data back to the Ultra
so I don't have my hands on the info but I can provide
it later if you still need it.

> --
> Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

Carl