[CLUE-Tech] login problems

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 18:13:34 MDT 2004

This one is pretty strange. I have a box that I have
been testing that is running RH9 with updates as far
as up2date would take them. It had been running "fine"
for about 30 days and then all of a sudden I couldn't
log in as a "normal" user using ssh. I will call the
box in question target. From the box I am trying to
login from I see:

[havlicek at cartman havlicek]$ ssh target
havlicek at target's password:
Connection to target closed by remote host.
Connection to target closed.
[havlicek at cartman havlicek]$

so it seems that target is taking the password and
then logging me off immediately.

On the target I see this in /var/log/messages :

Oct 13 17:33:04 target sshd(pam_unix)[xxxxx]: session
opened for user havlicek by (uid=511)

If I turn on telnet I get similar behavior. Also
lastlog -u havlicek on target seems to indicate that I
did log in.

If I try to login to the console as a normal user I am
prompted for the password and then the login prompt
resets. On the other hand if I try to login as root at
the console it lets me in. I also tried allowing root
login with sshd and it will let me ssh in as root ...

I have also run sshd in debug mode and saved the
output but it is pretty long.

This has happened in the past and I have tried to
login several times as a normal user at the console
and it eventually results in losing any ability to
login at the console.

At this point I have a root login and am trying to
figure out how to restore and hopefully resolve this
problem......

-Mike