[CLUE-Tech] Looking for GUI download manager

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 14:47:25 MDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:45:25 -0600, George Gammel <ggammel1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

Your best (tm) solution, as already proposed, is to craft your own
script to invoke wget. This has several advantages:

1. It's the unix/linux way - combining simple tools/filters to
accomplish a complex task.
2. You code it you know how it works. This gives your the opportunity
to become proficient in shell/perl/python/php (pick your poison)
scripting.
3. Once you have it working in batch mode, you can invoke it from
cron. Just be sure you haven't made any assumptions about paths,
environment, etc. that will break when invoked from cron.

Off topic advertisement: your woes about getting your distro upgraded
for a new version of (pick a package) sound remotely (my memory only
goes back so far) familiar. That's why I switched to Gentoo years ago.
If continuous upgrade of your system without need to reinstall is
important to you and you can live with lengthy compile times (an
overnight process) for major packages like kde, checkout Gentoo. It
also helps if you have broadband access; it's a little more painful
with classic dialup.

--
 /\/\
(CR) Collins Richey