[CLUE-Tech] Looking for GUI download manager

George Gammel ggammel1 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 13:45:25 MDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier"
To: <clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] Looking for GUI download manager

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:19:47 -0600, George Gammel  wrote:
>
> > I have a Windows program I use called GetRight.  It lets me put in a
text
> > file a list of URL's to download and the filename to save each to.  I
can
> > also set a schedule to do a daily download of this this.  I'm using this
for
> > downloading web based pages containing daily commodities market prices.
I'm
> > trying to find something in Linux to do this same function.
>
> Have you tried KGet? (http://kget.sourceforge.net/) I think it would
> probably do what you're looking for, and should be included with most
> recent distros that bundle KDE. I'm sitting at a Mandrake 10.1 machine
> at the moment, and it was part of the default install. It also
> integrates with Konqueror, which can be pretty handy.

Sounds like a workable idea, but I seem to be "stuck" with using Mandrake
8.2 (which uses KDE 2.2 and doesn't include Kget - I think).  For whatever
reason, I just can't get Mandrake 10.0 to install.  It won't boot off the
CD, so I have to use the boot floppy method.  And that just won't find the
SCSI cdrom.  It appears to try to use the same SCSI driver that Mandrake 8.2
uses, but it will not work.  Obviously, the driver is somehow different.  I
don't seem to find any other way to update to Mandrake 10.0.  Any
suggestions?

I thought about trying to download and install KDE 3.3 (which would probably
include Kget), but I think my chances of successfully doing that are quite
slim.  I have had pretty poor results in trying to download and install any
new software.  I'm sure my lack of experience is partly at fault.

Thanks for your help

George Gammel