[CLUE-Tech] batch command and the 'nobody' user

Ryan Grow ryangrow at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 16:03:27 MDT 2004

Hi,
I have a cgi script that accepts a file upload of a
log file from a remote machine. The cgi script then
invokes the command 'batch' on another executable
which eventually loads the uploaded file records into
a database.

This has worked fine for me on a linux 2.4 kernel.
However, when I moved over to a 2.6 kernel, the batch
job is never executed. Instead, an email message is
sent to me that indicates the job was not run because:
"This account is currently not available".

Has something possibly changed in at/batch that
prevents the nobody user - or any user with nologin
for that matter - from now using it?

Is this approach a bad approach security wise? Are
there any recommended better and easy options to keep
the database loading decoupled from the cgi script
execution?

Thanks,

Ryan