[CLUE-Tech] batch command and the 'nobody' user

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 20:35:16 MDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:03:27 -0700 (PDT), Ryan Grow <ryangrow at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a cgi script that accepts a file upload of a
> log file from a remote machine. The cgi script then
> invokes the command 'batch' on another executable
> which eventually loads the uploaded file records into
> a database.
>
> This has worked fine for me on a linux 2.4 kernel.
> However, when I moved over to a 2.6 kernel, the batch
> job is never executed. Instead, an email message is
> sent to me that indicates the job was not run because:
> "This account is currently not available".

I don't have a 2.4 system for comparison, but 'man batch' tells me
that the permissions are under control of /usr/lib/cron/at.allow and
/usr/lib/cron/at.deny. Do you have either of these files? The man
entry goes on to state that an empty  /usr/lib/cron/at.allow is the
equivalent of global authorization.

HTH,

--
 /\/\