[CLUE-Tech] Help with Debian printing to a windows print share

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 09:18:13 MDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:34:42 -0400, Angelo Bertolli
<angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
> I got Debian working rather nicely.  For what it's worth, the trick for
> me was to do the install online (install the first CD and just use an
> online apt repository) which produced a good result.
>
> However, I'm having a hard time accessing a windows printer share on the
> network.  I don't know enough about /etc/printcap or cups to figure out
> how to configure them by hand, and how samba gets tied in.  I'm not sure
> that cups and samba are communicating properly, but I did follow some
> online guidelines about what should be in smb.conf.  I did try using the
> Gnome tool for configuring a printer, but it doesn't seem to do
> anything.

The unix/linux way is to learn your tools. I have no use for gnome/kde
panels that hide the facts.

With cups

1. be sure you have the ppd files for your printer (foomatic is one good set)
2. start cupsd (debug if it fails to start)
3. In a browser http://localhost:631(unless you changed the listening
port) and add a printer (you will be prompted for root user/password)
3. Follow the prompts to create a printer and print a test page.
4. Once you have a working printer, move on to samba.

--
 /\/\
(CR) Collins Richey