[CLUE-Tech] Help with Debian printing to a windows print share

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Oct 18 22:34:42 MDT 2004

I got Debian working rather nicely.  For what it's worth, the trick for
me was to do the install online (install the first CD and just use an
online apt repository) which produced a good result.

However, I'm having a hard time accessing a windows printer share on the
network.  I don't know enough about /etc/printcap or cups to figure out
how to configure them by hand, and how samba gets tied in.  I'm not sure
that cups and samba are communicating properly, but I did follow some
online guidelines about what should be in smb.conf.  I did try using the
Gnome tool for configuring a printer, but it doesn't seem to do
anything.  I go through the steps of the printer details and choose a
printer driver (should be easy--I just used the generic PostScript
printer on Fedora), but after I click "apply" nothing happens.  No new
printer, nothing.

Can anyone give me some advice?  I have cups and samba installed.

Angelo