[CLUE-Tech] Re: ugly math crunching

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 12:46:49 MDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:23:22 -0600, Dale K. Hawkins <dhawkins at cdrgts.com> wrote:
> The problem is part hairy math, part search and can easily be decomposed
> to take advantage of threads, processes, etc.
>
> We went with the dual opterons.  So my follow up question is whether to
> install debian amd64 or gentoo.  I like debian, but I am curious about
> gentoo.  Also, since this box is dedicated to number crunching, it seems
> that I would only need the basic system and enough to run my software --
> I am thinking this will prevent me from needing a complete gentoo
> install should I go that route.

I'm prejudiced, of course, but I will always vote for gentoo. The
principle difference for my part is a source based product vs. a
binary product. When the time comes for upgrading, the source based
model alows you to upgrade continually (at your own pace), whereas the
binary distro ties you to (eventual) total upgrades and/or
reinstallation of your system. If you are using only a basic system,
this difference may not be as important for you. Also, I haven't
tracked the debian product through major upgrades, so my experience
with binary distros may not be 100% accurate for debian.

That being said, debian is a fine distribution. With any amd64
distribution, you are (still) on the bleeding edge of product
development, so you will be dependant on user groups for early
development support. Pick whichever group you are comfortable with. If
you wind up choosing for your system any products that are not 100%
blessed by RMS (aka $DEITY), you may find the debian troops to be less
forthcoming with their help.

Enjoy your new system.

--
 /\/\