[CLUE-Tech] RE: Fedora Core 2 NFS server (mike havlicek)

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 07:40:53 MDT 2004

Hello,

I was actually test mounting to Solaris 9 (x86) and
Rh9 manually from a FC2 box. The goal was to create a
minimal Solaris based Sybase server system. I have the
installation tree for Sybase on my FC2 box. Again I
think the problem had to do with the builtin support
for NFS V4 in the FC2 distro of nfs-utils. BTW
reverting to the nfs-utils from FC1 allowed me to
accomplish this hopefully one time task. Managed to
nfs mount the install tree to the Solaris box and
successfully installed ASE .... YeeHaw ....

I didn't have the resources test whether the FC2 nfs
server would allow mounts from FC1 boxen. I do know
that with my FC2 system the nfs daemon wouldn't
correctly start at boot with the FC2 distro nfs-utils.
I could manually start the daemon after boot with
errors reported about NFS V4 and idmap. Attempts to
mount from rh9 and solaris always resulted in
permission denied errors.

I would be very interested in hearing about your
solution/configuration especially if it allows nfs
mounts from other UNIX flavors.

Again the Howto docs for NFS V4 seem to assume that
both the server and the client are 2.6.5 or higher
linux kernel based systems. Seems not to be very
useful if you are trying to mount to Solaris etc ....

Have you mounted from FC2 ... If I understand you
correctly you are running nfs daemons on RedHat
Enterprise based systems which I assume are running
2.6.x kernels?

-Mike