[CLUE-Tech] gnome window focus

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Sep 3 17:30:02 MDT 2004

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:14:01 -0400
Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:

> Maybe I should switch to fvwm ?

I just tested this, and it appears that OO steals focus in Fvwm as well.
But, it's likely that Fvwm can be configured to make that not happen. Fvwm
is soooooo customizable, that I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a
workaround. Also, the Fvwm-users mailing list is very good about being
helpful

One solution that comes to mind with Fvwm is the "starts on desk"
parameter, so you could, for example, have OO always start on a desktop
dedicated to it. (I do this now, with The Gimp.)

Example line from .fvwm2rc:
Style "Gimp"        UseStyle gtk, StartsOnPage 1, SkipMapping

Soooo, I guess I'll try this with swriter. Hmmm. Sorta works. There's a
second or two when input doesn't appear in my "active" window while it
starts, but none of the keystrokes go into swriter -- looks like they go
into typeahead, and then appear where they're supposed to after a delay. I
can't find anything else useful in the Fvwm man page. Even "StartIconic"
doesn't help.

Other thing is maybe there's an X resource you could specify for OO,
saying "don't grab focus". Regrettably, I've found that in general (except
for old programs), their X resources aren't usually well documented.
Bummer, but maybe you could get an answer on the OO forums?

Fvwm rocks!
jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/