[CLUE-Tech] Arch Linux: Thumbs Up!

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Sep 5 06:04:12 MDT 2004

Collins Richey wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:55:06 -0600, Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:
>
> [ almost an essay snipped ]
>
> I, for one, agree with you Matt. No one deserves any grief about the
> linux distro they choose; hell, I've even learned to tolerate RedHat
> users <grin>.

LOL.  Agreed.

> All joking aside, Debian works great for some, not so great for
> others, and that's AOK. I use Gentoo because (after the initial
> travails) it's simpler to avoid the type of package installation woes
> you described.

I had some bad experiences with Gentoo, mainly the time it takes to keep
it up to date and the temptation to do so because of their super-fast
release cycles on just about everything, but I watch various folks who
use Gentoo enjoy it, and that's definitely cool.

> Two more notes:
>
> 1. I'm glad we don't have any of the RMS-type Debian-is-religion types
> here locally.

Hahah.. I hope I don't come off that way.  I like Debian a lot, but hey,
there's ALWAYS different alternatives!  That's the absolutely BEAUTIFUL
part about Linux -- it's whatever people decide to make of it for
themselves and/or others, depending on their World view.

> 2. Keep us posted about your experience with Arch.

Yes yes yes!

Nate