[CLUE-Tech] reverse DNS

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 11:04:59 MDT 2004

Simply put, it serves something like an ID card for your host.  Additionally, thanks to the
delegated nature of DNS and who controls the DNS servers, it is much more difficult to spoof than,
say, an SMTP HELO response.  I can't say how many thousands of hits I get against my servers ever
day that 'claim' to be one host, when their RDNS lookup indicates who they truly are -- usually
dial-up, cable, and DSL users, all from dynamic IP beds.  Spoofing is rampant, and RDNS help to
keep it in check.

--- Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me why RDNS is important?  It's something that
> I've never understood how it's useful to the way the Internet works.
>
> Angelo

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)