[CLUE-Tech] reverse DNS

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Fri Sep 10 13:00:33 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Even if there is no RDNS, can't you still block based on IP address?
> I mean is it now a requirement to have RDNS set up?

If you want to send to AOL, you basically *need* RDNS data, or they'll
can your email. I spend a lot of time getting RDNS information  and
whitelists set up for AOL specifically, only to have them change tack
and say they want something else. too.

You do NOT need RDNS to send mail, heck no. Mail sent to my work and
personal servers will make it juuuust fine without RDNS.

Yes, you can block based on an IP address, but for a company like AOL,
it's easier to force everyone else in the world to chase blindly after
you than it is for AOL to start blocking people and dealing with the
reactions.

At my lats job, I wrote a script that would parse through SPAM email and
take the sending IPs and block them.  SPAM email went down like crazy,
and by the time I stopped, I had 5000+ IP addresses in my blocklist.  I
didn't even run it for 5 months.

If you want to block SPAM, your best bet is to work an RBL into your
mail server and use spamassassin to catch the rest.  Using those RBLs
cans my spam quite nicely, and what made it through was newer servers
and stuff that threw off SpamAssassin.  Unfortunately, I can't whitelist
IP addresses, so I had to take them off, and now spam pours in again :(

Anyway, you'll want to look into this:
http://spf.pobox.com/

Allegedly, AOL and other companies are going to start rolling that out
as a means of stomping SPAM. Some people say it's the next big thing.
Lots of people are already publishing these records, too. SPF records
(Essentially TXT DNS records) are pretty easy to set up.

Adam