[CLUE-Tech] reverse DNS

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Fri Sep 10 12:32:00 MDT 2004

At 12:27 PM 9/10/2004, Charles Oriez wrote:
>At 11:29 AM 9/10/2004, Adam Bultman wrote:
>>Well, it doesn't really 'keep it in check' unless you are specifically
>>denying the ability of people without RDNS to send you mail, like AOL does.
>>
>>RDNS is *meant* to assist with things like mail, etc so that you can
>>trully 'know' where mail is coming from. Unfortunately, very few people
>>actually deny mail based on RDNS info because you'll be blocking too many
>>people.

actually, the competent ISPs are all now configured to use RDNS.  I block
for invalid RDNS on the Sierra Club servers, and virtually no non-spam is
blocked. When we do block non-spam, it is almost always a misconfigured
corporate or edu site rather than mainstream ISP, and a simple phone call
to an admin gets it resolved quickly.

>>For mail, SPF is the next big thing...

major debate there on SPAM-L. The open source community (Debian for one)
are rejecting SPF because of Microsoft licensing restrictions.  That isn't
unanimous though, and I don't know how it will shake out in the end.

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;198564653;fp;2;fpid;1

--

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org    39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**