[CLUE-Tech] Networking

George Gammel ggammel1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 14:35:10 MDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "David L. Willson" <DLWillson at TheGeek.NU>
To: <clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 1:53 PM
Subject: RE: [CLUE-Tech] Networking

> George,
>
> Try starting with some of the commmand-line Samba utilities, like
smbclient.
> My first test would be 'smbclient -L ' with the name of a known server on
> your network.  For instance, if the Windows box sharing the files is named
> 'GENEVA', you would type
>
> smbclient -L geneva

This seems to work with both windows boxes.  I get back a desciption
including both computers, the workgroup name, and the alias that I put into
the Windows networking.  However, when I issue this command to the Linux box
name, I get a connection refused message.  I seem to recall that one of the
How-To's I read indicated this could mean that Samba is not running.  I
tried the cammand 'nmbd' and 'smbd', which I think are the commands to start
Samba.  Bash said 'Huh! What!'.  That seems to indicate that maybe Samba
isn't even installed in my system.  I do have the smb.conf file in the
/etc/samba folder.  That implies that Samba is installed.  I think the first
question we need to answer is Samba installed and is it running.  Any
suggestions?

> Make very sure you are not running Windows XP with SP2 on the Windows
boxes,
> or you are going to get nowhere fast.  If you are, write again, and we
will
> discuss how to disable the XP firewall, and how ~not~ to be an
early-adopter
> of Windows service-packs.

The one windows box is running XP, but I didn't knowingly start up any kind
of firewall software.  The other windows box is using 98.

> Let's see where you get with just this much, and let me invite you to
bring
> your three boxes to Linux Fun-da-mentals on Thursday, where I be happy to
> help you get them interoperating.

Please tell me a little more about the Thurday meeting.  When-Where etc.

> http://mailman.thegeek.nu/linuxfun

>        David L. Willson
>          (720) 333-LANs

Thanks for the reply back.  Maybe we can find a way to tame this beast!

George Gammel