[CLUE-Tech] Networking

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Sep 17 17:17:03 MDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:35:10 -0600
"George Gammel" <ggammel1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> one of the
> How-To's I read indicated this could mean that Samba is not running.  I
> tried the cammand 'nmbd' and 'smbd', which I think are the commands to
> start Samba.  Bash said 'Huh! What!'.  That seems to indicate that maybe
> Samba isn't even installed in my system.  I do have the smb.conf file in
> the/etc/samba folder.  That implies that Samba is installed.  I think
> the first question we need to answer is Samba installed and is it
> running.  Any suggestions?

Become root.
Then, at the command prompt, type:

  service smb start

You should see:
Starting SMB services:         [  OK  ]
Starting NMB services:         [  OK  ]

Now, this likely won't do you much good, other than verifying that SMB is
there. You might get error message for your conf file, depending upon
what's in it. But at least it'll 'kick the tires' and verify you have
working software. You'll need to edit your smb.conf file. Now, maybe
Mandrake (you did say you were running  Mandrake, IIRC) had a Samba config
tool. Otherwise, there's a web-based config too that runs as a standalone
webserver. It's call SWAT -- Samba Web Administration Tool.
http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/resources/howtos/samba/samba2.php has an
article on using SWAT. Ignore the first part there about starting Samba
daemons. What you'll want to do, once you have your config file set up, is
add starting Samba to your system startup. I'll let the Mandrake experts
field that, because I don't want to assume it's exactly what I'd do on my
RedHat box, although it's likely the same.

Once you have a workin smb.conf file, and all is running nicely, the final
step will be to secure the Samba from crackers. It's easy to do, but one
step at at a time.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/