[CLUE-Tech] Networking

George Gammel ggammel1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 20:22:40 MDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com>
To: <clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] Networking

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:35:10 -0600
> "George Gammel" <ggammel1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > one of the
> > How-To's I read indicated this could mean that Samba is not running.  I
> > tried the cammand 'nmbd' and 'smbd', which I think are the commands to
> > start Samba.  Bash said 'Huh! What!'.  That seems to indicate that maybe
> > Samba isn't even installed in my system.  I do have the smb.conf file in
> > the/etc/samba folder.  That implies that Samba is installed.  I think
> > the first question we need to answer is Samba installed and is it
> > running.  Any suggestions?
>
> Become root.
> Then, at the command prompt, type:
>
>   service smb start
>
> You should see:
> Starting SMB services:         [  OK  ]
> Starting NMB services:         [  OK  ]

I entered that command in Konsol on the K desktop.  I got 'cannot find smb
service' as a response.  Also, I did a file search in Konqueror for *nmbd*
and *smbd* and found no matches.  It doesn't look like Samba is installed.
I'll try to get it downloaded and installed.  Hopefully that won't turn into
another adventure!

Thanks

George Gammel