[CLUE-Tech] Networking

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Sep 17 15:22:25 MDT 2004

George Gammel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to get a local peer to peer network operating between a
> Linux box and two Windows boxes.

You can ping, so far so good.  And the Internet works so your networking
is ok.  Just the Windows file sharing that's borken.

Here's what I wind up using for smbclient between Linux and Win XP:

smbclient //ismden100031149/c$ -I 10.0.0.4 -D '/Documents and
Settings/danselmi/Desktop' -U wrcc_nt/danselmi

(forgive the wrap, that's all one line).  The ismden goock is the Win
machine name and c$ is the C: drive built-in share.  If you have a
specific share set up use that instead of c$.

I have to use the -I and IP address of the Win box in because I don't
have any kind of name resolution set up.  I also use -D to get me to my
desktop automatically.  And then the -U is my domain and user name (you
probably don't have a Windows domain).

If you get smbclient to work then smbmount should work as well.  Neither
requires any configuration beyond the right arguments.  Making a share
on the Linux box for the Win boxes to use is a little more involved.

If you have Win 2k or XP there are several "security" settings that can
mess you up.  If you have trouble write back and tell us what command
you used and what it said when you used it (you can cut and paste from
your shell window).

And Linux Fun-da-mentals is a good place for beginners to hang out.