[CLUE-Tech] Not very refreshing...

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 20:40:11 MDT 2004

Personally I don't much like the vnc solution.

There was one mention of a solution that I am aware of
which is the cygwin/X and am going to try. In the past
I have used StarNet Xwin32 which is a fairly cheap X
server solution for Win with a number of "extra"
features including ssh .. Then you have the
Hummingbird suite which is fairly expensive as I
recall, ... but they have some cool stuff that you
didn't even think you needed.

Another solution that used to be free was from a GIS
software company ... microimages.com ... I haven't
checked them out for years ... It used to be that you
had to use there windows twm ..... I see now that they
are charging $25.00 for the product.

I recommend StarNET's product. (Without having checked
out Cygwin)

A note : I think it is all fine and well to sport the
command line stuff but ... I don't think learning the
command line was the initial question.

I think we were talking about remote X between windows
and UNIX. I generally like doing all my sysadmin work
using the command line ... but occassionally it is
nice for example to run smit on an AIX box. If I do
that from windows I need a GOOD X server on the
windows box.

Of course I could run smitty EG. If you like pain:)

But why?