[CLUE-Tech] Not very refreshing...

Robert Woods rfwoods at maxbr.com
Wed Sep 22 21:17:39 MDT 2004

I have used xShell and xManager now for over a year and like them both very
much.
At $168 for the pair, I feel you get your moneys worth. With the added
bonus of working out of the box.
The configuration was painless. Not so for Hummingbird. I had xManager
operational in minutes.
see
http://www.netsarang.com/
for details.
PS
The added benefit of using smit is the log and script record kept on every
change to a system.

Bob Woods

At 08:40 PM 9/22/2004, you wrote:
>Personally I don't much like the vnc solution.
>
>There was one mention of a solution that I am aware of
>which is the cygwin/X and am going to try. In the past
>I have used StarNet Xwin32 which is a fairly cheap X
>server solution for Win with a number of "extra"
>features including ssh .. Then you have the
>Hummingbird suite which is fairly expensive as I
>recall, ... but they have some cool stuff that you
>didn't even think you needed.
>
>Another solution that used to be free was from a GIS
>software company ... microimages.com ... I haven't
>checked them out for years ... It used to be that you
>had to use there windows twm ..... I see now that they
>are charging $25.00 for the product.
>
>I recommend StarNET's product. (Without having checked
>out Cygwin)
>
>A note : I think it is all fine and well to sport the
>command line stuff but ... I don't think learning the
>command line was the initial question.
>
>I think we were talking about remote X between windows
>and UNIX. I generally like doing all my sysadmin work
>using the command line ... but occassionally it is
>nice for example to run smit on an AIX box. If I do
>that from windows I need a GOOD X server on the
>windows box.
>
>Of course I could run smitty EG. If you like pain:)
>
>But why?
>

>--- David Willson <DLWillson at TheGeek.NU> wrote:
>
> > You guys are so cool, and I suck...  I killed and
> > restarted my Xvnc, and the
> > problem went away.  I'm sorry.  I didn't do it for
> > this, I did it for
> > resolution.  Ah well.  Thanks for all the tidbits.
> >
> > David Willson, http://TheGeek.NU
> > MCSE, A+, Net+, Linux Enthusiast

<snip>