[CLUE-Tech] graphics card recommendation

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:19:50 MDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:52:43 -0700 (PDT), Tony M. <skitzot33 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Get an Nvidia, one way or the other the drivers are
> 100% linux.  I'd recondmend a 5200 or above.
>
> --- Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:
>
> > I have a ViewSonic A75f monitor on a box that is
> > dual boot to SUSE 9.0 and
> > Win2K.  The graphics card on that box is an old, old
> > S3 Trio32/64, which is
> > one of their legacy cards.  I haven't gotten a good
> > display with it ever,
> > and I've decided it is time to spend a dollar or two
> > on a more current card.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what CompUSA or Micromart might
> > have that will work best
> > given that configuration?

I would have to agree about the nvidia recommendation.

Both nvidia and ati release binary linux drivers for their cards, but
based on my reading in various mail lists, nvidia do a better job (tm)
than ati.

Just google for info first on the specific nvidia card. Some of them
(can't remember which) don't work too well on linux. Also, be aware
that nvidia has never figured out how (in my experience, at least) to
operate AGP with a VIA chipset. On my older K6-II box with a VIA
chipset and an nvidia card, I had to disable AGP which sort of defeats
the purpose of having a fast video card.

You won't encounter this additional problem with an older box, but
boxes with the nvidia chipset (not just video) have been a real pain
in the kiester for linux, especially on 2.6 kernels.

HTH,

--
 /\/\
(CR) Collins Richey